The small town of Surin is found at the center of the Southern edge of the Khorat Plateau in Thailand. Its name was derived from the word “sura”, which means ‘god’ and Intar meaning Indra. The province is divided into 17 districts and is further divided into sub districts. Get to know the friendly and helpful locals. They will certainly share with you the wonders of Surin. It is famously known for its wonderful relationship with elephants evidently seen through the famous Elephant Round-up Festival and advocacies. Going to Surin means also discovering their world-renowned silk, which you can purchase at a very reasonable price. You can easily go around in town and discover picturesque tourist spots by foot. The beautiful Khmera Temples, relaxing forest parks are some of the reasons why this continues to be the must-visit places in Thailand. Explore Surin with your family and friends and you’ll surely have the greatest time of your life.
1. Happy Surin Elephant Round Up FestivalOne of the highly anticipated events in the town of Surin is the Elephant Round-up that happens every year on the third week of November. The highlight of this event is the parading of more than three hundred elephants along the streets of Surin. Local and foreign visitors enjoy the largest elephant breakfast,where they get a chance to see elephants enjoy their meal of fruits, sugarcane and a lot more. The festival activities consist of live demonstration about training elephants and how to care for them. There’s also a feeding party and the re-enactment of history of Surin. It is such a delight to see this one of a kind event that showcases its rich traditional culture. Everyone is ecstatic and proud of the richness of Thailand’s culture.
2. Support the Elephant FoundationAnimal lovers would surely love to be in Surin and support the Save Elephant Foundation Project. It could be your main reason to visit the city. You’ll get to know more about elephants. You can bathe, feed, walk, play and just hang around with them. Your support for the Elephant Foundation will touch the hearts of many animal lovers out there. It’s an incredible once in a lifetime opportunity to make these animals feel well taken care off and lived freely. Make a stand to make a difference. Your love for these precious giants are needed and will be appreciated.
3. Impressive Thailand SilkBuy the impressive silk in Surin and it’s all worth it. The weaving of silk is a traditional handicraft passed from generation to generation. It is the most fine and delicate all over Thailand and has been sought after by designers and collectors. Silk fabrics such as; brocaded royal silk and mudmee silk garments can be purchased into a very affordable price and you can have it made into beautiful clothing like blouses, sarong and dresses. You can personalize your design. You’ll be amazed how these beautiful handicrafts are perfected into a wonderful creation that became famous all over the world. Thanks to the patience, hardwork and creativity of the locals of Surin.
Surin Tourist Spots
1. Peaceful Phanom Sawai Forest ParkBells ringing and wonderful temples around will make you visit Phanom Sawai Forest in Surin. It’s a mountain in a volcano with Buddha statues and interesting temples. It’s a perfect place to pray and watch sunset views. You can walk along the nature trails, admire the beauty of the well-maintained botanical gardens, watch fishes swim in the pond and go around by climbing a lot of stairs, which is also good for physical health and well-being. A time to relax and to break free from the hustles and bustles of the city. It’s peaceful and calming as well. The bells make it all the more a great place to visit and wander around.
2. Excellent Surin National MuseumThe colorful history of Surin is presented in the Surin National Museum. A great collection of artifacts and well-accomplished exhibits are found here. There’s a lot of precious information shared for every local and foreign visitor. Signages and information are displayed in Thai and the English language so it’s easy to go around and know interesting facts about Surin’s historical culture, traditions, and customs. It will let you go back and be fascinated with Surin to its utmost wonder. There’s no fee upon entering this excellent museum. Your curiosities will be answered in an entertaining way and you will be pleasantly surprised with wonder.
3. Amazing Phraya Surin Pakdee Srinarong Jangwang MonumentYou know you’re in Surin when you see the stunning monument of Phraya Surin Pakdee Srinarong Jangwang, the first governor of Surin. Found in the center of the city, this can easily be spotted as you go around. You’ll see two giant elephant tusks near the gate. The monument is surrounded by beautiful well-maintained landscapes. It’s refreshing and has a great atmosphere to get to know more about Thailand’s history and meet the friendly and welcoming locals. The cultural festival, Surin Elephant Round-up, is also being celebrated here during the month of November. For most of the locals, this is a sacred place to pray, give offerings, to show appreciation and gather with their families and friends.