About Sierra Leone
The undisturbed beauty of Sierra Leone would bring awesome surprises to you because of too many reasons, such as its distinctive culture and beautiful nature. Its name "Sierra Leone" came from "Sierra Lyoa" meaning Lioness Mountains, it was named by a Portuguese explorer Pedro de Sintra in 1462 because of its wild and rugged appearance. The climate is tropical with humidity, the typical environment of African countries. Its neighboring countries are Guinea to the north and east, and Liberia to the southeast. The Republic of Sierra Leone is a country in West Africa known as a small country but is flourishing with plentiful wildlife animals. Freetown is the capital city of the country and known to have a slave-trade history, which gives the place a dark past. Long stretches of white sand beaches are the best highlights of the country that makes everyone feel unique with their adventure in Sierra Leone.
The Charm of Sierra Leone
1. The Cotton Tree is a National Symbol of FreedomThe dark history of the past in Sierra Leone caused long-suffering for the West African slaves. After a long time of being on the shaded period, the former slaves gained independence from the oppressors. Freetown, the capital city of the country, is where the historical symbol of Sierra Leone can be found. It is called the Cotton Tree; it is an old tree that holds paramount significance since its independence and a tree that has also become a landmark as of now. The cotton tree became a national symbol of freedom during the American war of independence, wherein the former slaves finally gained independence from the British. They walked up to the giant tree to rest, give thanks, and pray to God to make their land finally free. They believed that the cotton tree had long existed before they realized it was always there. The memories of the past are all written on the cotton tree, which is why it serves great importance not only to the lives of the people but also to their country.
2. Expect Rice in Every MealIf you are used to pieces of bread and cereals for breakfast, then it's time to try a different routine. In Sierra Leone, locals are consuming rice as part of their meal as it is the staple food of their country. Rice is very well established in the agriculture and diets of Sierra Leone. Rice is always present in every cuisine in the country. You cannot say you're full in Sierra Leone if you haven't eaten rice. The best local dishes are more delicious when accompanied by rice. Rice plays an integral role in the lives of people and farmers and the country because rice crops dominate the agricultural sector.
3. Home to Giant Snail The famous giant snail of west African countries makes Sierra Leone renowned to tourists because it is known to be home to giant snails or called the Ghana snail. These are native snail species in the forests of West African nations that it usually reaches 7 to 12 inches in length and 3.5 inches in width, making them the world's most abundant existing snails. These giant snails are sometimes seen as pests, but for some, it is a pet and essential. Ghana snails are a good source of protein, so it is edible and sold in some parts of Africa.
4. Dwelling Place of ChimpanzeeSierra Leone isn't just home to giant snails but also to Chimpanzees, which is why the country is really popular with its plentiful wildlife animals. Chimpanzees became the face of tourism in Sierra Leone because the people believed that they have similar traits when it comes to being emotional to these animals. It also became their national animal, which is why stepping a foot in Sierra Leone means seeing Chimpanzee on their sanctuary for real. You can learn about these beautiful creatures because the staff are well oriented and committed to their jobs. They will tell you some of the information to educate you about chimpanzees.
5. Their Love For Music is IncomparableWhen it comes to music and hip hop, people from African countries are the first people that would first come to mind because of their gifted talents and skills when it comes to performing music and dance. They are making an excellent reputation in the whole world, making their continent and other countries all over the world proud of them. Sierra Leoneans are known to be music lovers, may it pop, local hip-hop, or reggae genre. The unheard voices and music of the people are topping the list and are slowly making a name in the whole world because of their commendable awesomeness in the music industry.
6. The Fascinating Culture is Very DiverseAside from the well-known history, Sierra Leone culture differs because it is a blend of different influences of various ethnic groups. Despite having vast differences when it comes to traditional, political, and personal beliefs, it cannot deny that people inhabiting the country are friendly and hospitable. Their present lives are still lived and guided by their religious beliefs and traditional customs. Their culture builds their identities.