Davao Region (Region 11) is an administrative region located in Southeastern Mindanao of the Philippines enclosing the Davao Gulf. It is abundant with natural reserves, agricultural and industrial business trade and tourism and known as the place of opportunity for business growth offline and on-shore. The region is composed of four provinces; Compostela Valley, Davao Del Norte, Davao Del Sur, and Davao Oriental and six cities namely; Mati City, Digos City, Davao City, Tagum City, Samal City and Panabo City. Davao City, being the largest city in Mindanao, is populated with mostly Christians, Catholics, Muslims, and Buddhists. Davaoenos or Dabawenyos possessed diverse cultures and traditions, but this doesn't stop them from having a harmonious relationship as proven with their festive events and award as one of the Most Culture-Friendly City in the Philippines. The main language is Cebuano language (Bisaya) and Tagalog as the standardized national language of the Philippines and English is also broadly spoken for education, commerce and tourism.
1. Colorful Festivals EverywhereThe Kadayawan Festival is one of the biggest and grandest celebration for the month of August. It recalls and it shows the respect for the different culture of the indigenous tribes namely; Tausug, Sama, Obu Manuvu, Matigsalog, Maranao, Maguindanao, Kagan, Iranum, Tagabawa, bagobo Klata and Ata of Davao City. Dabawenyos show appreciation for the bountiful harvest they have received throughout the year by dancing the rhythmic Indak Indak sa Kadayawan on the main roads of Davao City. Celebrations include sports activities, trade fairs, 3D light shows, and the region's flora and fauna decorative floats and spectacular fire shows. The most anticipated event of the festival is the Hiyas sa Kadayawan. One of the most incomparable beauty pageant where the criteria for judging is the woman with the most knowledgeable about her native culture will be declared as Miss Kadayawan for the corresponding year. Other Festivals that attract local and foreign tourist are Araw ng Davao or Davao Day Festival, a long-month celebration during March. Activities to look forward to are 3D Mapping Light Show, which highlights the best of Davao. A pageant show called Mutya ng Davao, Sports Festival for the youth and marathons for all ages.
2. Home of the Exotic DishesDavao City has a variety of popular food options for its local and foreign tourist. Fresh sea foods like tuna, mackarel and swordfish mixed with shredded cucumber or radish and marinated with natural organic vinegar called Kinilaw is one of the famous dish in the region of Davao. The City is also very popular with skewered dishes like grilled meat and fish (inihaw) differently prepared following the lifestyle of their surrounding tribes in the City. Ginanggang, a skewered banana grilled with margarine and sugar is very popular street food and dessert for the locals. The city also offers its famous Durian for its indescribable smell and you'll forget about it once you've tasted the fruit. A more gastronomic adventure will be eating a pancakey and yokey crocodile egg and a roasted crocodile (Lechon Buwaya) usually serve during special occassions like Christmas and Fiesta.
3. Exhilirating Vibe for the TravelersThe place sets you for an adventure once landed from the Francisco Bangoy International Airport of Davao City. It convinces you that the trip is worth every penny and time because the city is now a peaceful and secured as evident of the extremely low crime rate and the massive increase of local and foreign tourists. It is the place for endangered species and variety of fruits, forest, crystal clear waters, hot spring, world class beach resorts in the surrounding area of Davao.
Davao Tourist Spots
1. Majestic Mount Apo, Davao The Grandfather of all mountains in the Philippines, Mt Apo is known as the highest mountain peak in the country. It is located between Davao City and Davao Del Sur province. Most indigenous tribes still consider this as a place of worship. Hence, it is important for visitors and travelers to keep the place clean and to also help the Dabawenyos preserve the beauty of nature. Mount Apo is a heaven for mountain climbers, trekkers, backpackers, hikers, and for some who just want to find comfort in the beauty of nature, covered with greens everywhere. It is a home for the largest and extinct monkey-eating Eagle and home for the most expensive, beautiful and rare orchid known as the Queen of the Flowers of the Philippines called Waling-waling or Sander's Vandra Orchid.
2. Samal, The Largest Resort City of the Philippines The Philippines consist of 7,107 island and Samal Davao Del Norte should be on the top list of Islands visits for travelers. The drive from Davao City to Samal is less than a two-hour drive. Tourist boats are everywhere and it will take you around the tropical Island of Samal. This island is purposely visited by locals for taking a break from the city life of Davao. Luscious greens of coconut tree leaves and crystal clear beaches are everywhere. Resorts that offer outdoor adventures like fishing, scuba diving, snorkeling, island hopping and singing in the karaoke for every ages are around the are, and many more. Also, other resorts also offer a quiet time spend with family. You can easily spot these type of resorts everywhere in the island.
3. Unstopabble Fun at Crocodile Park and ZooTravelers who enjoy the wildlife shouldn't missed the Crocodile Park found in Riverfront of Davao City. The wildlife conservation and the center for rescue of crocodiles and other animals is an effort from the government and agencies to spread public awareness through educational tours or field trips and lectures. Regular feeding of the crocodiles is scheduled for the tourists to witness the activity via a safe area by the bridge and a concrete pen with welded wide screens and double lock security gates. The park famous attraction is Pangil, biggest crocodile in the park, after Lolong. Other attractions include the Bird Kingdom and the series of animal presentation that gives wild insights, fun and adventure experiences for everyone.