About Tanjung Bungah
Tanjung Bungah is a suburb in the historical place of George Town in Penang Island, Malaysia. Its name is a Malay word that means "Flower Cape." Tanjung Bungah is a quiet suburb that is famous for its beach destinations. There are many hotels and resorts in the area to highlight the beauty of the sea. Due to urbanization efforts, residential areas rose in the suburb and it attracted many foreigners from all around the world. Majority of Tanjung Bungah's population consists of people from other countries who have made the suburb their home. Many have chosen to retire in Tanjung Bungah because of the relaxing and quiet environment.
The Charm of Tanjung Bungah
1. From Fishing Village to Residential Suburb In the beginning, Tanjung Bungah was a mere fishing village known to locals of the area and nearby cities. But because of its beautiful beach and shoreline, it was developed to help it achieve its maximum potential. Tanjung Bungah was recognized as a potential tourism driver. In the 1950s, tourists began appreciating the place as a prime beach destination. Because of this, urbanization efforts were conducted. Several high rise buildings were constructed along the shoreline of Tanjung Bungah. Now, the fishing village has completely been revamped and turned into a suburb with many beach resorts, commercial establishments, and residential areas.
2. Swimming Centers Tanjung Bungah's geographical stance makes it a prime location for beach and water activities. Its crystal blue waters have attracted many tourists from around the world, and also swimming enthusiasts. This caused the establishment of swimming centers in the suburb. Two main swimming centers in Tanjung Bungah are Penang Swimming Club and the Penang Chinese Swimming Club. The main sport in the suburb is swimming, but they also specialize in other water sports and activities like sailing. Many competitions and events related to aquatic sports are conducted in the swimming clubs and has attracted swimmers from other parts of the world.
3. Tuesday Night Market A lasting tradition in Tanjung Bungah is the Night Market that takes place only every Tuesday night. Many locals visit the night market to shop for their daily necessities. Tourists also love flocking to the night market. It is where you can get the best souvenirs to commemorate your trip and gifts you can bring home to your family and friends. There are many products sold in the night market that really showcase the culture and tradition not only of Tanjung Bungah, but of Penang Island itself. Plus, there are various food stalls serving tasty dishes from the Penang cuisine. All of these and more are sold at really cheap prices and amazing deals.
Tanjung Bungah Tourist Spots
1. Penang Floating Mosque The Penang Floating Mosque is the most famous tourist destination in Tanjung Bungah. It was built in 2004 after a tsunami destroyed the old mosque that stood in its place. The Penang Floating Mosque literally floats above Tanjung Bungah’s beach, merely supported by pillars. In fact, it is the first mosque in the entire Malaysia that is built on sea. The Penang Floating Mosque is considered an architectural wonder, with an amazing design and structure all throughout. It can be described as "Moorish" in design, built with absolute intricacy. The huge size of the mosque can accommodate up to 1500 people at once, and is visited by many, especially during prayer time.
2. Penang Toy Museum For toy lovers and those who like collecting limited edition toys and items, this is a place to visit. The Penang Toy Museum has over 100,000 collections of toys. It is the largest toy museum in the entire world, and has even been awarded in the Malaysian Book of Records being the first toy museum in the country. The Penang Toy Museum was established by Loh Lean Cheng. He was inspired after visiting the toy museum in London. So he started his collection with a single Popeye doll. Later, the collection grew, and now there are thousands of toys displayed. Visiting the Penang Toy Museum is like taking a tour back to your childhood. As you walk through the halls of the big museum, you will see some toys that you might have had as a child, and characters from TV shows you watched. The Penang Toy Museum is visited by more than 100 tourists in a day. So, you absolutely can't miss out on this experience.
3. Penang Avatar Secret Garden If you've seen the movie called "Avatar," then you'll probably love this tourist destination in Tanjung Bungah. Inspired by movie, the Penang Avatar Secret Garden lets you get a feel of what it's like to be in a real life Pandora. The "Avatar" movie shows a beautiful and stunning location in the gardens called Pandora, and this is exactly what you will see and experience in this tourist destination. Hidden inside the Thai Pak Koong Temple is a garden with amazing lights that surround you. It's definitely very stunning and overwhelming. So if you haven't seen the movie and are heading to Tanjung Bungah for a vacation, we recommend you watch it first then visit the Penang Avatar Secret Garden to enrich the experience.