Gifu located in the center of Japan, based on the area scale it rank number 7 in the country. The population in Gifu is around 2 million people with 24,1% of total population is aged 65 years old. The Gifu area is endowed with rich natural environment with the mountain peaks exceed 3,000 meters above sea level. The average temperature of Gifu City is 15.5 degrees Celsius. Gifu has diverse topography and climate, Gifu is inhabited by a variety of animal and plant species, variety of agriculture products which are suited to the natural condition that grown all year. For examples, rice is cultivated due to the warm climate in the plains of southwestern Gifu. Vegetables, including summer and fall tomatoes, spinach, and summer Japanese radish, are produced in the cooler summer climates of the high altitude plateaus in the, what a lucky area. Gifu people mostly involved as employee in its manufacturing industry around 24.1% which has long period in its history. Fashion, ceramics, furniture, woodwork, cutlery, paper, plastics, and foodstuffs are among the distinctive local industries found in Gifu.
1. Its Cultural time slipMost tourist who come to Japan, they are not only to see the good technology or the modernity but they are also looking for the unique and delicate culture as well as its nature. For you who willing to see and feel the cultural and experience old Japan, you can come to Gifu. In Gifu, you can bring yourself to feudal Japan of the Edo period where you can see where the most powerful man in Japan used to stay, relax, or you can walk around the old street, or you can experience living as commoners in Edo period which located among the forest. You will never regret this kind of experience in Gifu.
2. Its nature and Sight As mentioned, Gifu has diverse topography and climate meaning you can enjoy Gifu at any time and any season. You can enjoy its nature for sightseeing and refreshing all year. If you like the mountain, you can go to the northern Japanese Alps or if you like skiing you can also enjoy it by the time at the resort that Gifu has. If you don’t like this challenging vacation, you still can enjoy the refreshing feel at the Onsen while enjoying the view. There is not only one way to enjoy Gifu, you many choices to do. Challenging or refreshing, sightseeing and calming.
3. The craftmanship produce workGifu is also well known with the handicraft. There are many kinds that you can try at Gifu. For examples you can try the food replica making that usually you at the restaurant, you can make it by yourself then bring back as your souvenir, make your own souvenir! You also can watch the demonstration of sword making process and also see the traditional and modern swords being displayed at the museum. Aside that, there is pottery market share where you can see many kind of Japanese tableware and bring back as your souvenirs. Last but not least is the workshop of Washi (Japanese paper) which usually use for lantern, umbrella, or fans, again you can bring it back to your home as your souvenirs right? No need think what souvenirs you can bring back home.
Gifu Tourist Spots
1. Shirakawa GouSee the castle is already common thing to visit in Japan, so why don’t you experience yourself for being a commoner or villager in Edo period. It will be a new thing to do. Then you can ho visit to Shirakawa Gou that located hidden away by the mountains. It is a UNESCO World Heritage. Although it’s in middle of mountains, it is still easy to get by car or buses. On this area, you also can find Gasshozukuri houses, it is a typical house of Edo period. It is named so because the roofs look like hands in prayer, and which were designed to withstand the weight of snow in winter. Many houses in Shirakawa-gō are still inhabited, and if you plan in advance, you can get a first-hand experience of staying in one to see how farmers and those who reared silkworms lived both for summer of winter.
2. Gero OnsenGero Onsen ranked one of top 3 Onsen in Japan. This ancient onsen has started its fame since Edo period as a spa. The water quality of Gero Onsen is such that it is known as a pure alkaline hot spring. With water that has the same feel as smooth beauty lotion, the number of repeat customers who visit Gero to obtain beautiful skin is endless. No wonder many people want to go there and feel the beautifying hot spring. After or before the hot spring bath, you can walk around this old area with yukata, it will add your holiday more worth to. At Gero onsen, there 3 public bath houses available in town, you can buy 3 passes to enter these 3 houses or if you want to more affordable one you can try the open air bath by the end of under Gero bridge, it is free but yes it is exposed.
3. TakayamaTakayama placed usually referred as Hida-Takayama to differentiate it to others. Takayama maintain a traditional culture like few other Japanese cities, especially in its beautifully preserved old town. It now ranks as one of the prime candidates among travelers wishing to add a rural element into their itineraries. Every season allows sakura and red leafs to bloom beautifully, when spring and autumn comes, and in winter also comes heavy snowfall. Walking around the traditional shopping street is just like a trip back in time. Furthermore, visit the Showa Museum for an impressive exhibition. The comprehensive displays there will make you feel as if you have lived through the Showa period yourself!