The fascinating country of Haiti is found on the island of Hispaniola in the Greater Antilles archipelago of the Carribean Sea. Haiti means a “mountainous country” and it is arguably the best place for the eyes and ear to discover. The untouched views and world-class views of nature are perfect for discoveries and evidence against the destructible the country has been to. Nevertheless, the country with its determined inhabitants amazes the world with its amazing endurance, extreme creativity, and resourcefulness. Its rich history turned heads towards the country and believe that freedom is the most precious thing a generation can pass to the next generation. The artistic Haitians find happiness in helping and sharing their creative skills to the whole world as seen through their world-renowned handicrafts. Indeed, showing how proud and how they love the culture that makes them who they really are. Freedom and the start for new things and the love for their families are what makes them unique and keeps them motivated.
1. Delightful Haitian ArtThese artistic molded shapes are made from hardened composite materials such as combined paper pieces that are heated with a starch-water mixture and painted with a bright and colorful protective coating. The paper mache of Haiti is a world-renowned artistic recyclable craft that wows the world. Its process and techniques have been passed from generation to generation and have been widely taught all over Haiti especially for youngsters. It is mostly produced in the port town of Jacmel and has been the source of income for most of the Haitians making it dramatically increased and help the country to recover the disaster it had been to. As a way of showing appreciation, they boost their beautiful crafts during the annual Carnival of the country. Indeed, Haiti knows how to value its surroundings and creatively create wonderful things. You would surely be delighted to purchase these world-class handicrafts. It’s also a great way to help the Haitians.
2. Unforgettable ParadiseThe beautiful sunny day of Haiti shines through its native forests and welcomes everyone to experience and discover its amazing and inspiring stories. Despite natural calamities destruction, Haiti is slowly recovering to share its glorious place, You will feel on top of the world and close to heavens upon reaching the country’s highest mountain. Everyone will have the chance to play sports such as; windsurfing, kite surfing, mountain biking, hiking or just plainly crossing plains and marveling the beauty of the place. A chance to encounter the warm and friendly locals that will surely make your stay unforgettable.
3. Be Inspired with the HaitiansThe endurance and determination of the Haiti people amaze the whole world. During the aftermath of the earthquake and crisis. They inspired the whole world by their grace and determination. Setting your foot in Haiti means new friendship with the welcoming and helpful local, who’s very sincere with saying, “Thank you” and always wearing a genuine smile. It would be beautiful to capture the surroundings of the country with the locals, but always remember to always permission first before taking a photo as they really appreciate it in a very polite manner.
4. New Year and Independence Day In One CelebrationCelebrating the start of the year and remembering the start of freedom is one of the highly anticipated events in Haiti. The exhilarating festival features activities that showcase the real Haitian tradition. One of the highlights of the event is the eating of Squash Soup or “Soup Joumou” as an essential part of the Haitian revolution and to commemorate the sacrifices of their ancestors upon achieving liberation from the French colonies. Children are given small gifts, but the most important thing they truly receive is being free. A joyous and unique way to celebrate the start of the year. Happy Soup Joumou Day!
5. Tasty National DishesThe dish of Haiti would most likely keep you wanting for more. In order to fully get to know their culture, its national dish should not be missed. Rice and beans are the staple food of the country and it is complemented with the national dish, Griot. It is sliced of boiled pork, cut into cubes and fried. The most common side dish is the delicious fried plantains, which is also a favorite among the Carribean islands. If thirsty, you can opt to choose the fresh coconuts that are highly recommended if bottled water is not available. Another healthy juice you can try is the local sugarcane. Near the coast, lobster and conch are readily available if you’re craving for seafood.
6. Creatively Painted BusesThere’s so much beauty and art in Haiti. The artistic Haitians are very resourceful when it comes to showing their artistic skills. Their reliable buses or locally called as “tap-tap” is a moving canvass widely decorated and designed with bright and colorful paints giving life to the streets of Haiti. It is essentially used as transportation to get around the islands. These painted buses tell a lot about the stories of the vibrant tradition, qualities, and beliefs of Haiti. It’s becoming a form of expression through murals and graffiti from Haiti artists. Be sure to experience riding these artistic tap-taps and surely you will have the best ride experience.