Complete your travel goals by visiting the small country in Europe. It is found in South Central of Europe in the Julian Alps. Historically, Slovenia is part of Yugoslavia until in 1991, became an independent country. Slovenia is divided into six regions namely; Coast and Karst, Julian Alps, Central Slovenia, Southeastern Slovenia, and Pohorje-Savinjska. The country’s capital and largest city is Ljubljana. Here, you will see medieval castles historically inspired with baroque and Roman architecture. As you go around the country, beautiful alpine valleys will welcome you warmly. Although, it’s freezing you will never feel cold with the country’s awesome activities. You will enjoy various challenging activities like hiking, skiing, mountaineering. If water sports appeals to you, try canyoning, rafting, and paragliding. Slovenia’s culture is also worth learning and discovering. You will understand how these majestic places turns the inhabitants into the most joyous and welcoming people in the whole world.
1. The Joyous National Costumes and Clothing Heritage FestivalEvery 2nd week of September, Slovenians turn their heads to the town of Kamnik to celebrate the National Costumes and Clothing Heritage Festival. It is considered to be the largest ethnological festival in Europe. The locals and visitors are excited to see traditional dress of other nations and from the different regions of Slovenia. It is a family-friendly event that showcases a colorful and lively parade. Children are excited to take part in a dancing fairy story-telling and be introduced to crafts, musical instruments, and clothing traditions. They also get to play treasure hunting, puzzles and other traditional games. Adults will enjoy presentations such as live musical bands, folk dances, workshops on headdress production, costume designing competitions and attend exciting exhibits. Be sure to book yourself early for this wonderful event in Slovenia.
2. Hearty and Tasty Prek Murska Gibanica DessertA very popular Slovenian snack that you must try is the Prek Murska Gibanica. A true Sloevnian recipe that calls for the many layers of poppy seeds, apple filling, cottage cheese filling, walnut and raisins. This traditional dessert of Slovenia is protected by law through declaring it as a ‘Traditional Specialty Guaranteed’. You can easily find these hearty and tasty dessert in some of the many famous restaurants of Slovenia. It’s one of the definitely recommended Slovenian food that you will crave and maybe rate for more than five stars. It sure is perfect and excellently prepared for dessert lovers out there.
3. Favorite Winter ResortSlovenia’s amazing summit, unspoiled natural areas and beautiful snow parks are just some of the reasons why it is the favorite winter resort by many. All the more, amateur and professional skiers will love Slovenia’s friendly and challenging slopes. Every resort offers a unique experience for every family. You will definitely enjoy excellent accommodation facilities, world-class restaurants, bars and cafes. Some resorts also held international events for everyone to be part of. Aside from these, you also get to relax with the beautiful surroundings. You can also avail some of the resorts services such as massage and spa, sauna and pool areas. Show off your snowboarding skills and have the best time of your life.
4. Culinary Special; Pumpkin Seed OilOne of the favorite culinary specialty in Slovenia is the Pumpkin Seed Oil. Adding a drop of the pumpkin seed oil will enhance the flavor of your favorite desserts into a nutty taste. Make sure you don’t use this as a cooking oil due to the high polyunsaturated acid. Instead, few drops will let you have a perfectly unique tasty dessert. Keep in mind that the finer the quality of pumpkin seeds processed, the more exquisite is the oil produced. You can buy this as a perfect souvenir for your wonderful trip in Slovenia. Share to some friends and maybe add this to your dessert. It will surely remind you the beauty of Slovenia.
5. The Artistic and Fun Idrija FestivalIf you know someone who is into lacemaking, then the Idrija Festival will surely make him or her excited. Book before the month of June and enjoy this beautiful and crafty festival. It started in the 1980s and has been celebrated every year. Lace makers from around the world will enjoy workshops, gatherings, competitions and exhibits. You can also enjoy outdoor activities and shop lace products from the skillful Slovenians. This is a time to get to know more of Slovenia’s history, lifestyle, culture and get to know the friendly and artistic Slovenians. Gain more Slovenians friends as you enhance your lace making skills.
6. Beautiful Castles and Museums AroundEnjoy going around the country as you visit castles and museums of Slovenia. You will learn more about the culture and history of this fairy-tale like country. The world’s oldest wheel and axle is found here and you can also take a peek to the Neanderthal’s tools and instruments. As you go around the castles, amazing city views will welcome you adn tell you that you are in the right place. You will admire the informative exhibitions, charming streets and the unique architectural style buildings. Don’t forget to capture memories of your trip to Slovenia and enjoy every moment as you around the country.