About The Bahamas
The Commonwealth of The Bahamas island is within the Lucayan Archipelago located in the West Indies. It consists of more than 700 chains of islands in the Atlantic Ocean. It is located north of Cuba and Hispaniola Island, northwest of the Turks and Caicos Islands, and southeast of the United States of Florida. The capital of Bahamas is Nassau, which lies on the island of New Providence. The largest island of the country is Andros. Bahamas island has a strong bilateral relationship with the United States and the United Kingdom thus making it a mixture of African, British and American culture. A unique country that possesses wonderful qualities to offer to its guests as well as its lively citizens. Giving importance to their historical culture, rich natural surroundings, joyous gatherings, nationality, spice-rich cuisines, fun and one of a kind activities, welcoming citizens, and their amazing skills worth sharing with the whole world.
1. The Floral Emblem of BahamasThe chosen national flower of the country of Bahamas is the yellow elder. The beautiful flower is native to the drought-tolerant island and it beautifully blooms throughout the year especially on the months of October to December. It is a bright deep yellow trumpet-shaped flower making it more attractive to bees and butterflies, and to the people around. The warm climate of the country is excellent for the cultivation of such beauty that’s why it is no wonder that the yellow elder holds a special place in the symbolism of the country of Bahamas.
2. Positive Vibes Around the CountryExciting events to explore and experience is the cultural event Junkanoo. The traditional street parade of music, dance, and art happens in the heart of the country, Nassau. It is celebrated on the Boxing Day and New Year’s Day. For tourists and guests, there is a Junkanoo rush in the well-known tourist spots of the country. The Junkanoo Festival features live entertainment, costume making, and cowbell creations. The costume-making consists of the materials of crepe paper, colored cloth, cardboard, aluminum rods, tie wire, contact cement, and leather with lots of glue. Some Junkanooers also use styrofoam and finished with glitter, studs and decorative beautiful beads. You can see how skillfully creative the Junkanooers are by this well-prepared costumes. The stilt dancers, street dancers, clowns, and acrobatic dancers simultaneously dance to the beating of goatskin drums, cowbells, horns, whistles, and conch shells making it lively and just good vibes spreading around.
3. Spice Rich CuisinesMost of the dishes of the Bahamas reflect the combination of Caribbean, African and European influences. Most of the Bahamian cuisine includes different kinds of seafood, tropical fruits, rice, peas, pigeons, potatoes and different kinds of porks. The difference is that they love spicing each dish to create a powerful traditional unique Bahamian dish. Try the savory dish of Souse. A traditional stew dish and its main ingredients are chicken, onion, potatoes, celery, garlic, and carrots. To fully complete these dishes, savory spices such as; bay and lime, and pepper should be included Some popular spices that add a distinctive flavor and rich aromas are chilies, tomatoes, onions, cinnamon, rum, and the healthy coconut. To find these amazing specialties, most are available at roadside stands, beachside, restaurants, cafes and fine dining in every part of the country.
4. Best Diving ExperienceBahamas Island is well-known for its renowned diving sites. It possessed the world’s largest and healthiest reefs into the abyssal depths. The Runway Wall in Nassau is for divers who like to explore the many wrecks, dramatic walls, abundant healthy reef systems, and Carribean reef sharks. Visitors also get the chance to shark-feed these animals. Go to Current Cut in Eleuthera for that amazing high-speed drift dive. Divers can also enjoy watching Bahamians reefs and other marine life pass without exerting any energy. Bahamas Island is known as one of the most diverse ecosystems and healthiest in the whole world so make sure you check out this amazing island for that fabulous amazing driving experience.
5. Unlimited Smiles and LaughterThe quote “Humor is the affectionate communication of insight.” from Leo Rosten is indeed one of the reasons why Bahamians are well-known for their good sense of humor in all situations. They are sensitive, respectable, modest, and down to earth individuals. Friendly individuals that welcome strangers especially tourists and invite guests into their homes as one of their cultural characteristics. They build friendships and relationships through their funny jokes and share a meal to know more about each other and hopefully build a lasting relationship.
6. Awesome Take-awaysBring home some of these amazing handicrafts for keepsakes or gifts to everyone you love. These handicrafts are mostly made from palm fronds created into beautiful Bahamian hats and bags. Some of the other pieces visitors can bring home are jewelry, art like paintings, wood carvings, wall hangings, shells, ornaments, keyrings, conk shells, glass tone bangle, junkanoo face headpiece ornaments, charm necklace, and refrigerator magnets. All of these unique pieces are created by the local Bahamian artists and shares the fascinating stories of the Bahamas. Buying these absolutely beautiful pieces is also a great way to support the local artist of the country.