About Khon Kaen
The city of Khon Kaen in the province of Isaan Thailand plays an important role in the Northeast region. The city is the center of business, education, and technology. The city is well-known for its excellence in the production of silk. Getting here is easy and accessible from Bangkok and transportation ranges from tuktuk, taxis, buses, and trains. You can get to see and admire the local arts, culture, and understand their beliefs in every corner of the city The city is peaceful and quiet. Locals are friendly and welcoming. There’s always a chance to mingle with them. They always wear friendly smiles and you will surely feel that you’re welcome in their town. There’s a lot of things to do and discover. If you’re looking for a budget-friendly place and a place rich in the culture you’ll surely love your stay in Khon Kaen. Everything is worth checking and visiting.
1. Amazing Seven City Pillar ShrinesGoing around the city. You will see a number of shrines and each has its own story to tell. At the northeast side of the lake between Wat Klang and What Tat lies the first shrine of the first leader of Khon Kaen. The next shrine is built by Thao Kam Yuan the shrine has no longer has its pillar and statues, but locals see through it that they pay tribute by leaving offerings. The next shrine built is found in San Jao Bueng Tao Gong Ma, which was built by Thao In. Aside from this shrine, he also built the Ya Ku Yen. Another shrine is also oddly situated beside a small grocery store. Inside the concrete, shine lies the small wooden pillar. At the center of the soccer field, lies an easily distinguished shrine, which is surrounded by statutes. There are also shrines that don’t have pillars, but the locals continue to visit and give offerings. Interestingly, the latest shrine came from a dream.
2. Lively Silk FestivalThe greatest annual festival of Khon Kaen annually happens during the end of November. It’s a ten-day festival aiming to promote the local silk industry through the specialization of silk weaving and the importance of raising of silkworms in the city and throughout the world. The highlight of this festival are silk weaving exhibitions, silk fashion show, beauty pageants, grand float parade and competitions from participants across the country and from around the world. It's also the time to buy this amazing handicraft and you get to choose the best.
3. Best Yoga Retreat CityTake a deep breath. Release the tension in every part of your body. Feel your body move and stretch and say goodbye to your aches. That’s what you need to do in Khon Kaen, as the city offers a relaxing yoga retreat studio for everyone. There would be a lot of choices for the best retreat and you will definitely not regret it. Feel the connection of your body, mind, and spirit. You will be connected to your body. Friendly and supportive instructors will support you. Clean facilities will make you comfortable as you give time to your precious body.
Khon Kaen Tourist Spots
1. Amazing Light Scenes at Chao Por Lak Muang Khon Kaen ShrineThe beautiful shrine of Chao Por Lak Muang Khon Kaen is one of the highly recommended places to visit in the city of Khon Kaen. Beautiful gardens will welcome you and its serenity is so soothing that you just want to relax and immerse yourself with the beauty of the shrine. You can choose to visit early in the morning, where it's the quietest time of the day. For the locals, this a place to pray and worship. You can take a lot of photos with its picturesque background. Nighttime is never to be missed. The beauty of the Shrine and the garden illuminates wonderfully in the city. The colored lightnings are well decorated and fabulously shine into the dark sky. Every scene is worth dropping by as you learn more about the local’s beliefs and traditions.
2. Perfect Water Play at Dino WaterparkHave a relaxing family day at the Dino Waterpark found in the center of Khon Kaen. The huge area is perfect for family bonding, thrilling slides and adventures. It claims to be the largest water park in the northeast of Thailand and it is one of the must-see attractions. Dinosaur theme waterpark with magnificent slides are all over the area for everyone to enjoy. Enjoy slides like the Windigo, Family Rafting Slides, Space Boat, Looping Rocket, Freefall and Kamikaze, Magicore, Turbulance, Space Shuttle and Body Slides. There’s also the Kidzone or Aqua Play for young kids. Have a fantastic day and take the opportunity to refresh and renew in the city of Khon Kaen.
3. Perfect and Delightful Khon Kaen National MuseumTo know more about the history of Khon Kaen visit its national museum in the Mueng District.There is a large collection of artifacts from the Northeast of Thailand. You get to discover Upper Isan or Sakhon Nakorn Basin during the ancient times. It also features exhibits about tools for hunting food, dinosaur fossils, human skeletons, musical instruments, and more pre-historic sites. A perfect place for history lovers out there and a place to gather information about the important contribution of Khon Kaen to the wonderful country of Thailand.