Daejeon is one of the South Korea’s large metropolis, being the fifth, with the population over 1.5 million per 2,010. Serves as hub of transportation and is at the crossroads of major transport routes, as this city being located in central region of South Korea. If you want to go to the capitial Seoul, it will takes 50 minutes away by KTX high speed train. Daejeon also one of South Korea’s administration hubs with the Daejeon Government Complex, as the Korean administration during the 1,980s decided to relocate some of its functions from Seoul to other cities. Currently, 12 national government offices, including Korea Customs Service, Small and Medium Business Administration, Public Procurement Service, National Statistical Office, Military Manpower Administration, Korea Forest Service, Cultural Heritage Administration, and Korean Intellectual Property Office, as well as Patent Court of Korea, are located in Daejeon. Korail, Korea Water Resources Corporation, and Korea Minting and Security Printing Corporation are also headquartered in the city.
1. a city of science, culture and ecologyIf Seoul and Busan being the most interesting city to visit during your trip to South Korea, so Daejeon too. This city have a metropolitan atmosphere with some modern technology around. It can be seen by the shape of the building and the public facility. Having a motto “a city of science, culture and ecology“, it gives you some attractions with technology but still maintaining the local value and environment. You can see the city’s progress by visiting it : the development of the city not only focused on technology, but also develops its environment too. The city’s visitor always increase and around 900,000 visitors comes to this city each year. Because this city has its unique as green area and even you come at summer you will always feel cool.
2. Friendly citizen and energetic elderGoing to Daejeon will give you many experiences and many knowledge by learning about their culture. You can see many people, even with their old age, still energetic to do some activities on foot. It because their habit going anywhere on foot and drinking ginseng after breakfast, so they can maintain their health and stamina even on their peak age. People in Daejeon are nice, you can feel the friendly atmosphere by interacting with them. Take some selfies, photos, eating together, and walking around at the dusk on the edge of Daecheong River, activities that can make you feel been acquainted with them for a long time, even you just met this morning. Making Daejeon is not worth to visit just for one day.
3. Largely Unvisited CityDespite its status as metropolitan city and its central location, Daejeon is "largely unvisited city“. Many people are misunderstanding about there is nothing special about this city, and unworthy of their time to visit. However, if you do the visit, you’ll realize that its lack of entertainment that makes Daejeon special, you will find yourself discover more about who you are while exploring the city. You will find its beauty inside its “old“ aura. Take an example to this city’s market, you will find the true face of a traditional market in Daejeon Jungang market. A short five-minute walk from Daejeon Station, the market is the largest traditional market in the central region. The market is comprised of many specialized markets, including the Jungang General Market, Jungang Shopping District, Jayu Wholesale Market and more; you could nearly fill a whole day with exploring all the shops and stalls. For a light snack, try some of the street foods, including sundae (blood sausage), hotteok (sugar-filled griddlecake), oden (fish cake), mandu (dumplings), gimbap, janchi guksu (noodles in broth), and nurungji (scorched rice).
Daejeon Tourist Spots
1. Yuseong Hot SpringYuseong Hot Springs is located at the center of Daejeon. The hot spring is known to be effective in countering many kinds of maladies. The water here contains alkaline minerals such as calcium, and potassium, sulphur, carbonic acid, silicic acid and radium. An especially high concentration of radium is found here. Such alkaline hot springs are known to be good for treating neuralgia and geriatric diseases. Nearby are large accommodations with many convenient facilities, which make it easy to visit here while touring. Yuseong Hot Springs has long been associated with cranes. During the final days of Baekje Kingdom, a man who was the only son and heir of a family for seven generations was seriously wounded during a war with Silla. His mother worried greatly over her son’s wounds. One day she saw a crane with a wounded wing dip itself into a hot spring in the midst of snow covered ground and healed. She took her son there and his wound was healed as well so the legend goes. Perhaps because of this legend, the Yuseong Hot Springs is famous for its incredible healing properties.
2. Hanbat ArboretumDunsan Grand Park, designated as an urban neighborhood park on June 7th, 1,991, is a local cultural Mecca. The park is home to a wide variety of cultural and arts facilities including the Daejeon Culture & Arts Center, Pyeongsong Youth Cultural Center, Daejeon Museum of Art, and Ungno Lee Museum of Art. Coupled with the arboretum, it is one of the most culturally sophisticated areas of the city. The Hanbat Arboretum, linked with the Government Complex-Daejeon and Science Park, is the largest manmade urban arboretum. This venue serves multiple purposes: to act as a reservoir of genetically diverse foliage, an eco learning center for students, and a recreational area where people can relax and pass the time in the peaceful embrace of nature. The arboretum, standing on a lot measuring 387,000m2 (1,270,000ft) was developed as part of a three-stage plan. Seowon (West Garden, located north of the Daejeon Museum of Art) and Nammun Square opened on April 28th, 2,005, while Dongwon (East Garden located north of Pyeongsong Youth Cultural Center), which consists of 19 uniquely themed parts such as the Magnolia Garden, Medicinal Herbs Garden, Rock Garden and Fruit Garden, opened on May 9th, 2,009.
3. Jangatesan ForestJangtesan Forest (300,000 pyeong) is the first recreation forest built by the private fund in South Korea. It has accommodation facilities, fish farm, deer farms, and a children’s playground. Every year many visitors enjoy the man-made forests and natural forests with 12km trails. Wonderful places for family outings are located in the small gorges along the trees. Children can enjoy playgrounds and exercise facilities throughout. Also, from the sky tower, visitors can enjoy the Jangtaesan view and greens leading to the shaking stairs. Visit Jangtesan where you can communicate with nature.Daejeon-si Seo-gu Jangan-dong is located at the base of Jangtaesan Mountain Natural Recreation Forest and consists of a dense forest of ginkgo trees. The beautiful lush valley makes for a great getaway during the summer months. The recreation area features a promenade, a therapeutic forest walk, sporting equipment, and a botanical garden. Lodging facilities include Forest Cabin, a recreation center, and a training center.