The Lapu-Lapu name originates from its local chieftain who defended the city and the country of the Philippines from the Portuguese explorer (Ferdinand Marcos) for another 40 years. Chief Lapu-Lapu is considered one of the bravest national hero of the Philippines. Lapu-Lapu City is located on the northwestern Mactan Island, Philippines. The second busiest airport, Mactan-Cebu International, is located in the City of Lapu-Lapu and serves as the international gateway of the city. The city is joined to Mandaue City on mainland Cebu by the Mactan-Mandaue Bridge and Marcelo Fernan Cridge. It is rated as one of the country’s most business-friendly places and also included in the Cheapest Place to Start a Business in the country. The excellent port facilities of the city are one of the excellent places for investors to start a business and to expand the tourist attractions. It offers quite a few beach resorts and interesting islands to discover by simply hopping on a tricycle, small jeepney, and taxi.
1. Festive Victory in MactanLocally known as Kadaugan sa Mactan. It is the celebration and reenactment of the victory of Mactan during the Battle of Mactan. Ferdinand Magellan and his companions were confronted by Chief Lapu-Lapu who fiercely fought against them. The beginning of re-enactment is usually started from the planting of Magellan’s Cross up and to the victorious achievement of Lapu-Lapu on the island. The event is the main celebration and played by famous personalities. This festivity aims to boost tourism and encourage the locals to be brave in facing challenges of the present. During the event, food stalls are found in the Mactan Shrine to showcase the best cuisines of the city. The very entertaining Rampada sa Kalsada is also part of the celebration where some of the streets of the city are filled with loud music and crowded people just having fun.
2. Finest pasalubongs to bring home from Lapu Lapu CityThe city has the very best source of dried mangoes in the country of Philippines. Handpicked ripe mangoes of Cebu are sliced into bits and pieces and dried out under the sun. Each bite is guaranteed a chewy texture, non-acidic zest and sweet taste that makes it so addictive and excellent for fat-free snacks. Cebuano specialties like the elongated puff pastry sprinkled with sugar called Otap; the famous Rosquillos, the crunchy chicharon and dried fish or locally called buwad, danggit, and lechon. All these favorites are a must to bring home and share with family and friends as pasalubong from the City of Lapu Lapu.
3. Home of the World-Class Guitars The city is known for its wonderful and captivating classical and acoustic guitars. The sweet melody of each guitar strum playing in the city makes every visitor unleash their hidden talents through this musical instrument. All music lovers and aspiring musicians are free to haggle when they spotted something that suits their personality. A lot of guitar shops are found in the city, but the best ones are found in Alegre Guitar Factory, visitors get the chance to create their guitar. Amazing! You can also spot other guitar shops and factories in the neighborhood of Abuno in Lapu Lapu City to spot a good deal. This is a very favorite non-food souvenir from the City of Lapu-Lapu.
Lapu-Lapu Tourist Spots
1. Excellent Jpark Island Resort and WaterparkA paradise for the whole family is located in Barangay Maribago, Lapu Lapu City. The highlights of the Island and Waterpark are the sprawling water complex that includes three towering waterslides, lazy pool river and a wave pool or a beach-like shoreline. Snorkeling is free for everyone who wishes to and all snorkeling equipment is available at the counters including beach towels. There are plenty of activities for travelers to enjoy like; waterslides, snorkeling, jet-ski, beach volleyball and basketball and even shopping at its shopping complex. The hotel is safe and very clean, a delicious breakfast is served for its guests. It features an activity area for kids like a mini-gym, playhouses, miniature golf course, go kart bikes and a huge chessboard. Truly, a paradise for kids. For adults, they might want to try the casino and the Spa. The Cara Spa offers Swedish oil, massage, warm oil massage, Philippine Hilot Oil Massage and Japanese Massage for an excellent and one of a kind relaxation in Lapu Lapu City.
2. Island Life in Olango IslandOlango Island comprises the 6 satellite islets namely; Camnungi, Pangan-an, Caohagan, Nalusuan, Gilutongan and Sulpa. The island is just a one hour travel from the pier or 20-minute boat ride from Mactan. The place is for beach bums and bird lovers. A superb stone walkway will give each traveler terrific photos to remember. The island is at its best for a morning visit since it tends to get hot during the middle of the day, especially during the summer season. A great place for snorkeling and island hopping where the water is crystal clear and lots of fishes around. Local and foreign tourists can dive in three different sites around the island at Mabini Point, Baring and Santa Rosa. If visitors want to stay longer, different accommodations for visitors are around the area for that island life experience.
3. The Famous and Ancient Mactan ShrineOn the Coast of Cebu City, Mactan Island the very famous Mactan Shrine is to be found. Chief Lapu-Lapu statue is on the exact position where the battle was fought and Ferdinand Magellan died. A few meters from the Shrine is the Magellan Shrine. These are two important shrines for the history of the city and the country. Magellan Shrine is remembered as he was the first person who brought Christianity in the Philippines. These shrines commemorate the events of the Battle of Mactan. A huge mural painting of the battle is also found in the place. It is a must-see for every Filipino and every foreign visitor to get a glimpse of the fascinating Philippine history.