The Queen City of the South is located in Central Visayas of the Philippines. It is the oldest and first capital of the Philippines. Metro Cebu is formed by the neighboring cities; Carcar City, Cebu City, Danao City, Lapu-Lapu, Mandaue City, Naga City, and Talisay City and its municipalities are; Compostela, Consolacion, Cordova, Liloan, Minglanilla, and San Fernando. Cebu City is one of the most developed cities next to Metro Manila. The beautiful and charming city is the center for business, trade, education in the Visayas Region. The city is known for its exotic tourist spots, finest white sand- beaches, spectacular coral atolls, tropical islands, spectacular diving places, rich fishing ground that surrounds the city. Cebu is one of the top lists for foreign tourists because of its accessibility via Mactan-Cebu International Airport, where it flies 36 domestic destinations and 37 direct international flights. For locals, Cebu is a favorite host for various national conferences and trades.
1. Amazing FestivalsOne of the most popular festivals in Cebu is the Sinulog Festival celebrated every January. An astounding annual cultural and religious festival that shows the talents of the Cebuaños through flower boat dancing in the streets and artistry in dancing with their created colorful costumes. During the nighttime, a lot of parties are found everywhere, splendid fireworks display and body painting tattoo artists are easy to spot. The biggest reason for the grand celebration is to reminisce the times the Cebuaños embraced Christianity. A lot of religious activities are being held during the Sinulog Festival in honor of Sto. Niño. The Viva Pit Senyor expression among the Cebuaños and tourist means, “Long Live, Call on the Holy Child Jesus.” The solemn procession starts and ends at the Basilica Menore de Santo Niño and passes through major streets in the city. Reports say that around every year the number of tourist increase to watch the amazing Sinulog Festival.
2. Tastiest Exotic DishesThe tuslob buwa (dipping in froth) is a very simple exotic dish consisting of dehydrated and minced pork liver, innards and sliced pig brains sauteed with onions and garlic, shrimp paste and chilis in a bowl with a secret special sauce. Next on the dish is the must-try Ginabot, pork cracklings made from pig’s intestines. Local says that you’ve never really been to Cebu without eating Ginabot. The Lechon Belly Cebu is the favorite among the Filipinos. Lechon is sold all over the country, but when it says that it’s Lechon Cebu it’s definitely one of the most delicious, crunchy goldren red skin, juicy and delectable meat. A must-try but not very exotic is the historical Hanging Rice or locally known as Puso. The story of the Puso is from the ancestors way of living in which they used this as their pack lunch when they go to school, work or travel. It’s a rice wrapped in triangular woven palm leaves and dipped to boiling water until it gets cooked. This dish is best paired with Lechon Baboy, Ginabot, and coffee.
3. Excellent Diving SpotsThe island gains a worldwide reputation and became famous for its incredible and exciting diving sites. The marine biodiversity found in Cebu is one of the greatest in all around the Philippines as Cebu and Mactan is right in the middle of golden’s coral triangle. It is a place where every visitor's purpose is to discover new astonishing diving sites, seek thrilling nature adventures, underwater caverns, freshwater cave diving, shallow shipwrecks and a place in the world to reliably see thresher sharks. For the local tourists, it’s the best place to see and encounter big fish. The place offers different diving sites for every level from beginner to the most experienced divers.
Cebu Tourist Spots
1. The famous Magellan’s Cross The Magellan’s Cross is found near the Basilica Minore Del Sto. Niño on Magallanes Street in front of the Cebu City Hall. Part of the Philippine history says that Ferdinand Magellan planted the cross and this marked the birth of Christianity in Cebu and where all the Spanish influences began. The original cross is now encased in a newer wooden tindalo and housed in a small chapel for safekeeping and protection from the environment. Locals say that the historical cross miraculously cures, and the government had to secure and preserve it for it not to be chipped off. The painting surrounding the cross is a good sight for photoshoots. Visitors can relax and stay for a while in the nearby plaza or visit the original La Fortuna Bakery for famous Cebuano presents and pasalubong making it worthy to stop by the and take a photo with the famous artifact.
2. Breathtaking Views at Tops LookoutA good place to see the superb island of Cebu and nearby cities; Mandaue, Talisay and Lapu-Lapu City in a panoramic view at around 2,000 feet above sea level. Driving up and down the thrilling 20-minute winding concrete narrow road is an adventure itself while taking a good look at the great views the place has to offer. Delicious food, refreshing drinks, and souvenir stalls are available within the area. It’s best to visit the place during late afternoons or during sunset as well as during the evening where all the lights of the city are viewed from atop making it into a magnificent view with cool air as a good treat from the heat of the city. It offers breath-taking views and peaceful sceneries while hanging out with friends and loved ones.
3. Captivating Sirau Flower ParkSirao Flower Park or Sirao Flower Farm is called the “Mini Amsterdam” of the Philippines is found in Cebu City. This is a place for everyone who wants to be fascinated with lovely flowers. The flowers of Sirao are very well-tended and provide a good place for great Instagram-worthy photos. A Variety of flowers to spot are Celosias (wool flowers), Sunflower, Chrysanthemum, Daisy, Aster are among the flowers that are planted. The spectacular flowers are so pleasing to the eyes that it makes every visitor feel relax and just be in love with mother nature. A lot of beautiful decorative garden items like windmills, bird’s nest, and the giant hand are found here. Travelers will surely create good memories with family and friends here.