About Bayan Lepas
Bayan Lepas is a town housed in the historical city of George Town in Penang Island, Malaysia. This town used to be called the "rice bowl" of Penang. This is due to Bayan Lepas' history. In the 1970s, it was a rural village, and the main driver of the economy was rice farming and agriculture. Bayan Lepas is the largest town in the Southwest Penang Island District, and is home to a majority of its inhabitants. Like most places in Malaysia, Bayan Lepas is a multi-ethnic town. 47% of its population comprises of ethnic Malays. A huge bulk, specifically 37%, are of Chinese descent. The remainder of the population are Indians and other foreigners.
1. Silicon Valley of the East Bayan Lepas is a highly developed town. Many high rise buildings were built around the area, and these are the homes of many multi-national companies. A lot of international companies have also set up their factories in Bayan Lepas. This town also houses the Bayan Lepas Free Industrial Zone, which is a high-tech manufacturing area. It was Malaysia's first ever free trade zone, and played a significant role in the economy of Penang. Because of these developments, Bayan Lepas became known as the Silicon Valley of the East. This title has attracted many foreigners to the town, especially businessmen and young entrepreneurs.
2. History of Bayan Lepas Bayan Lepas is said to have been founded by a wealthy family from Sumatra in the late 19th century. Legend has it that they landed ashore in the area, and at that time, their pet parakeet escaped. Hence, the name Bayan Lepas was formed, which in Malay means "escaped parakeet." The town, in the past, has long been an agricultural area. Rice farming was the main economic source during that time. In 1935, the Penang International Airport was built. This was the first civilian airport to be built by the British Malaya. Soon after, the airport was followed by the Free Industrial Zone. These developments marked the beginning of growth for Bayan Lepas. Rapid development due to the building of high rise infrastructures and setting up of commercial zones took place, which made Bayan Lepas the highly-developed town it is today.
3. The Penang International Airport The Penang International Airport opened the doors for the development of Bayan Lepas. It is one of the busiest airports in the country of Malaysia. The airport is strategically situated at the heart of the town, and because of this, it brings in a huge waive of people to Bayan Lepas on a daily basis. It is also a main carrier of goods and trade materials, allowing for seemless operations for companies in Bayan Lepas. This is why the town is an attractive location to set up factories. The development of the Penang International Airport became the cure for the financial crisis of Bayan Lepas, and since then, the town's economy just kept on rising.
Bayan Lepas Tourist Spots
1. Aquarium of Fisheries Research Institute Along the street of Batu Maung in Bayan Lepas is an aquarium of fisheries that will show you wondrous marine creatures. For a very cheap price, you get the learn and have fun at the same time! In the Aquarium of Fisheries Research Institute is a collection of aquatic species. You can view and stand in awe of these creatures in a huge auditorium where you get a great sight of the big aquariums that house several fish and marine species. Not only is it beautiful to witness, but a visit to the aquarium is very informative. You get the learn a lot about marine life and the creatures that live under the sea. It's surely a place for both children and adults to enjoy.
2. Snake Temple One of the tourist destinations that is widely talked about in Bayan Lepas is the Snake Temple. Just from the name of the place, it already sounds interesting! Here, tourists can unleash their more adventurous and brave personalities as they enter into a place filled with snakes! The Snake Temple has various snake species you can find and encounter up close and personal. You can even take photos with them if you want. At first, it sounds like a very scary experience, but most tourists who have visited the place will tell you that the fear goes away. What remains is awe and amazement for these creatures.
3. Penang War Museum The iconic Penang War Museum finds its home in Bayan Lepas. Penang has a very rich history that is really interesting to learn about. But why just read or hear about the stories of the past if you can actually envision them. The Penang War Museum takes visitors on a trip back to the past. There are many war artifacts, tunnels, and places to explore in the museum that speak about the dark history of Penang during the peak of the war. The museum itself is located in an area built by the British way back in 1930s. It was also the site of the battle of Penang against the Japanese army. Indeed, the Penang War Museum is a location with a lot of stories.