Tochigi Prefecture is located in the center of Kanto Region and the largest open plain area. The population is about 2,014,931 people but it seems it become decrease through the years. The temperature in Tochigi can be classified into humid temperature zone but has broad range in temperature for examples in winters are arid with dry winds, while summers are humid with frequent thunderstorms. Northern mountainous areas have always been famous as summer resorts. Meaning the cold temperature area like mountain just the same popular as well as the high temperature area. Large temperature differences between day and night allow the growth of rich agricultural products. Seasonal charms welcome tourists throughout the year with flowers such as cherry blossoms and wisterias in spring and some of the nation’s most beautiful autumn foliage. Tochigi prefecture is popular among the local or overseas tourist, since the location is not far from Tokyo and such an easy trip.
1. One of Finest Onsen ParadisePopular throughout the year, cool winters let you enjoy hot springs (Onsen) surrounded by snow and Tochigi Prefecture is one of the finest Onsen paradises in Japan, having approximately 630 Onsen each with its own source of spring water, numerous number. Onsen-kyo (hot spring towns) such as Kinugawa, Nasu and Shiobara attract more visitors than any other Onsen in Japan. Tochigi might be popular the most among Tokyo people, because of its nearest location to enjoy the open-air bathing surrounded by snow. There are a wide variety of Onsen from the nationally well-known to smaller historic hidden gems, and others with renowned health benefits of their particular thermal spring water while they are living in such busy life in Tokyo.
2. Magnificent Nature This prefecture also has a magnificent nature areas that very suitable for you love outdoor activities, such as hiking, rafting, or canyoing. Tochigi has its own reputation of it as the hikers’s paradise where the trails lead you up to mountain, round lakes, and past the waterfall. Many climbers enjoy the view at Mount Chausu-dake which by foot of this mountain well known as name “Royal Resort Nasu” due to location of Imperial villa. The nature view itself is really beautiful different from Tokyo who has all building, there is also Kegon waterfalls the top three finest waterfalls in Japan. There is also Lake Chuzenji that famous for its picturesque scenery when autumn colors reflect on the surface of the clean lake like a mirror.
3. Echanting Local CuisineTochigi has rich farmland and clear spring water. This blessings also reflected into its local cuisine. It is well known for the nation’s largest crops of strawberries and visitors can enjoy to pick the strawberries during winter and spring in the farm. The capital city of Tochigi is famous the its Gyoza, well known as name “The Town Of Gyoza”. There is also Sano, the city at the south area that famous by its Ramen. So, it is not a shock if there are so many people in a long queues for gyoza and ramen on weekends. Vacations never been complete without the local food right. Why don’t you stop by and try the gastronomic pleasure in Tochigi.
Tochigi Tourist Spots
1. Shrines and Temples of NikkoTochigi has a UNESCO World Heritage Site, it is the hundreds religious buildings within two Shinto shrines (the Toshogu and the Futarasan-jinja) and a Buddhist temple (the Rinnoji) as well as extensive surroundings. Thosogu well known by its carving of “Sleeping Cat” and “Three Monkeys” with the “see no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil” poses “. The shrine contains 55 buildings including 8 national treasures and 34 listed buildings. It is also the place of the great Shogun Ieyasu Tokugawa, the most famous samurai all time enshrined. As for Futarasan jinja is a spiritual and sacred place that many people pray for good luck and success in love for 1200 years. The beautiful “Shinkyo”, a vermilion-lacquered wooden bridge belonging to the shrine, welcomes visitors to this world heritage site. Other one, there is also Rinnoji temple where the Sanbutsudo Hall with three giant Buddha statues laid. In this world herigate of Nikko city you can also rent for Kimono also.
2. Mountain ShiobaraMountain Shiobara is famous for visitor, especially visitors from local, Tokyo. It is because the access and distance is not far from Tokyo. Mountain Shiobara has a popular ski and snowboard resort, so most of these busy Tokyo people come here to release their stress just for a while before going back their routines. This resort is also well equipped for all levels start from beginner to professional level and it also children friendly place by offering attraction for children such as sleigh and snow play. On the other hand, aside of for snow activities on the winter, Mount Shiobara also can be enjoyed in summer for seeing the slopes of lilies and the colorful leaves scenery in autumn from the ropeway.
3. Oya History Museum This museum located in Utsunomiya and its specialty of attractions. Oya Stone was actually a mining since 17th century but nowadays it become a museum with many documents left on the display. Not only as museum, this site also famous for shooting movies or music video, event as a venue for concert hall, theater, business function, and wedding. This underground kuseum always being called as “unknown space” because of a very huge underground cavern with 20,000 sq that large enough for baseball field. The atmosphere down here remind the visitors of the ruin of Ancient Rome. That is why, these underground giving such great feeling that may many people want to celebrate their important day down here. Are you interested to be one of them?