Niigata area is near by the sea or exactly facing the sea with a coastal plain between the mountains and the sea. It seems being a splendid area who get the great gift for having mountain and sea for its nature. Niigata also blessed with the longest river in Japan as well as the beautiful lake around. It has a high humid and strong wind subtropical climate, part of Niigata area tend to have heavy snow in winter and rather hot in summer. Since Niigata face the sea, it is become the first port in Japan opened for foreign trade. The population here is around 2,305,000 people and it produces rice and sake which the nations dear love food and beverage. The high quality of them is non-questionable. Niigata is well known also with sceneries for the sea and the mountains as well, spectacular fireworks in summer and also skiing in winter, and hot springs around the year.
1. Completed Beauty NatureNiigata is blessed with beautiful nature such as mountains, sea, lakes, or trees. These are the appeals of Niigata attract people to come just for being the witness of its beauty. One of the best features is indisputably mountains are splendid for the ski slopes that cover it. These features are heaven for the hiking course and ski resort which providing the needs of the visitors who come to enjoy the time in Niigata all year round entertainment of course. Mostly hikers favourite peaks are Echigo Sanzan and Mount Hiragatake while for the skir resort has a lot of them that you can choose, Niigata has more than 10 resorts. Frankly speaking, you can get the peak of mountain to hike, then the beauty snow cover for the ski and right down of it you can enjoy the crystal clear of the water lake and rice paddles blocks.
2. With rice comes good sakeRice is the heart of Japanese cuisine, niigata’s rice has its popularity because of the quality. A volatile climate in here may cause the unpredictable weather but also the water from mountain snow melting feed the rice paddies also in any way give it taste delicious and nourishing content, no wonder it become no. 1 in Japan. While the rice it top rank, it follows with the sake quality also. Sake is made from rice, so good rice quality will produce good sake. If you have a plan to visit Niigata, it is a must for you to try the quality of its rice and sake as well, let you tongue decide.
3. Kingdom of FireworksHanabi (fire flower or Fireworks) is become part of summer in Japan, although the real philosophy is for drive away the evil and entertain the dead people. Now, fireworks become a masterpiece of arts. Summer in Niigata mean we will enjoy the weekly fireworks festival around the prefecture. It is not only happen in the main city but it is literally happen in each area you find in Niigata, it is truly like the kingdom of fireworks which thousands people come to Niigata all over the country to see it. It will be unforgettable memories if you have a chance to see these fireworks, at least one of them.
Niigata Tourist Spots
1. Sado IslandSado island lies off the coast of Niigata prefecture. Due to its remote island, in the past it was used for the political exiles. Three famous exiles are former Emperor Juntoku, Buddhist monk Nichiren, and the founder of Noh, Zeami Motokiyo. Eventough nowadays no more usage for exile but the culture and religion by these residents brought remain until today. In Sado island, you can learn many things about its culture from the remaining there, you can learn about it from the Sado History Museum that exhibits here by using displays for examples introduction about these three famous exiles, but the information in English still rare. Other side of the museum is dedicated for local late artis Sasaki Shodo for his skills in metal casting, he is appointed as a living national treasure for his invaluable skills as a metal casting artist. In Sado island, there are also a lot of festival by the local, however the most famous one is the Earth Celebration. It is an annual music festival hosted by world acclaimed Kodo Taiko group, with each year featuring different guest star collaborate with Kodo.
2. Imayotsukasa Sake BreweryNiigata is known as the home of Japanese sake with more than 90 different breweries here. Imayotsukasa Sake Brewery named by its founder Imayo Tsukasa in 1767 in label name KOI. He was famous for the use no additives alcohol, known as pure rice breweries in Japan until today. Along by the touring about the history of sake and the brewery, seeing the antiques tools that used for sake brewing, and also can taste their sake by the end of the tour. no need to worries about the language they use for the tour because the guide can definitely use Japanese and English, so your tour will be no no meaning. After the tour, you can buy some souvenirs and their products also here.
3. KatakaiKatakai actually is a small village in Ojiya City in Niigata. Even tough Niigata is well known with the fireworks festivals, what make Katakai is so special? It because the fireworks in Katakai have a history for 400 years and Katakai used to be home to firework makers, we could say that this is a ancient festivals that remain until now. Moreover, in Katakai festival can painted the night sky with giant wheels of fireworks that only Katakai can do. It is not a surprise Katakai fireworks became the largest in the world. So make sure you clear your schedule on September 9-10th to enjoy it. Aside the fireworks, you can also see around the city to enjoys others festivals.