Hokkaido is the second largest main island in Japan. It is located at north part of Japan nearby Russia. Due to the geographic, Hokkaido become the coolest area in Japan and the snowiest area when the winter comes. Even in the summer, Hokkaido still relatively cool, not humid, warm, but not hot. In August the temperature will be around 17 to 22 °C (62,6 to 71,6 °F) and not like others main island in Japan, Hokkaido almost never been affected by the rain season on June to July in a year. Meanwhile in January the temperature will be around -12 to -44 °C (10,4 to 24,8 °F). Hokkaido ranked first in the country in the production of a number of agricultural products, however most of the population in here work in service sector. Especially when summer breeze in Hokkaido drive tourist local and overseas come to enjoy the outdoor time. Comparing the other parts of Asia that are hotter and humid. Nowhere like Hokkaido and its attractiveness.
1. When it's cool then foods also the best Mostly when the temperature is cold, we need something to warm our self. One of the way is by eating. It is normal that we feel hungrier when it’s cold outside. This reason also make Hokkaido as the number one of the country in the production of a number of agricultural products, livestock products, as well as dairy earning the fame in delicious food also. Some of the most famous foods in Hokkaido are Jingusukan (grilled meat with vegetable) well known by the tourist and claim that it taste different with other parts of Japan, Hokkaido Ramen is well known with the Miso soup and become 1 of 3 most popular ramen in Japan , there is also Sushi. Although sushi is common in Japan but with the fresh seafood Hokkaido, topping variety, and the Chef expertise mostly claim that local people won’t eat sushi outside Hokkaido.
2. Snow things when it comes to winterHokkaido is all about cool air and snow of course. As become the snowiest place in Japan, Hokkaido is mentioned have the high quality snow that very good for snowboarding and it is natural Hokkaido also has few best skiing resort in Japan. Mostly, people come in November to May to enjoy the snowboarding activities. Good for these resort, most of it are foreign tourist friendly as impact that there is a lot foreign tourist come. Aside of skiing, snow also identical with snowman. This land of snow also famous with the snow man festival or better known as Sapporo Snow Festival and Otaru Path Light.
3. It's not only the snow, the flowers in Spring also magnificentEven tough Hokkaido so identical with snow but the greatness of Hokkaido is not just it. The flower also as beautiful as the snow here. Flower means Spring, winter and snow is not the only thing you can enjoy in Hokkaido. Past winter and spring comes, Hokkaido still can be enjoyable. Shikisai no Oka is the big and colorful flower garden, it has around 30 kind of flower being planted here. Every season except winter the flower will bloom beautifully and every season has different color, for example Tulip for spring lavender or sunflower for summer, and cosmos for spring.
Hokkaido Tourist Spots
1. Skiing Resort RusutsuThe best time to enjoy snowboarding or skiing is early December to February. On winter, Skiing Resort Rusutsu open in the 3rd week of November until 1st week of April every year. This timing is perfect for the winter and skiing. It is when the snow thickness will be more 12 meters and in this time skiing will be more satisfying and with any other activities. Skiing is not the only one you can enjoy in this resort, there are some other attraction here. Such as winter illumination with 250 lamps for 300 meter long, Rusutsu Resort is maybe the most glorious winter illumination among others Skiing resort in Japan. Other activities that can be unforgettable experience is riding the dog sled.
2. Asahiyama ZooAsahiyama Zoo (Asahiyama Dobutsuen) is very popular zoo in Hokkaido. Every year this zoo being visited by 3 million visitors. Asahiyama zoo become popular because it is different with any other zoo in Japan. Usually animals in the zoo is being locked in the cage but in this zoo we are allowed to see the animal as is its habitat. The visitors will walk in the transparent tunnel and seeing directly these animal’s way of living. It’s really fascinating experience. The most interesting part of this zoo is maybe the Penguin parade at winter (December to March). The penguins like having a tour around the zoo just like human do and communicating each other, very cute.
3. Jozankei OnsenJozankei Onsen is also a popular onsen. It is part of National Park Shikotsu Toya. This onsen offers a different beautiful scenery in every season. Mostly tourist come when it autumn or winter. When it comes to Autumn the scenery is full of momiji leaf red color that is contrast with the blue color of water meanwhile in winter the white scenery surrounding the onsen. So the visitors will be very exciting to wait and see the scenery whenever they visit here. Cool temperature Hokkaido with relaxing in onsen is really a good pair schedule to enjoy the vacation. It also has a unique mineral contain that can’t be find in others area and as well as most common information that we know onsen is really good for health.