The Republic of Ecuador is found in the northwestern South America and surrounded by Colombia to the north, Peru on the east and south, and the Pacific Ocean on the west. The capital and the largest city is Quito. Ecuador has four primarily geographic regions namely; La Costa, the most productive land; La Sierra, where the scenic volcanoes can be found; La Amazonia, where Amazon national park are located; and the La Region, where the Galapagos Islands can be found. The country experiences a little change in daylight all through the year because of its location at the equator. The Ecuadorians mostly speak Spanish on their daily life activities. Ecuador is one of the must-places as it will surely ignite your love for the universe and its flavorful cuisine. You will be warmly greeted by the Ecuadorians and make your experience in this wonderful country unforgettable and worth coming back for.
1. Medicinal Cinchona TreeThe Cinchona or Quina is the national tree of Ecuador. The cool climate and the little temperature change of Ecuador is excellent for the cultivation of the cinchona tree. It is famous all over the world for its medicinal value against the infectious disease malaria. In traditional medicine, the bark of cinchona is harvested in a lot of ways by mossing, coppicing and chopping. The bark is then dried and powdered. It contains alkalois, quinine and quinidine as an effective treatment against the mosquito-born infectious disease of the whole world making it a life-saving product that can only be found in Ecuador.
2. Hospitable EcuadoriansThe Ecuadorians are known for its awesomeness, generosity and hospitability. They are open about everything and give everything they have especially for travelers visiting their country. Ecuadorians will help everyone as much as they can and have. Their faithfulness, being family-centered, and respectful are absolutely one of the reasons why this country is worth visiting. They do not mind shaking everyone’s hand even give kisses on the cheek upon first meeting and will be very understandable if you’re not comfortable especially if you’re a foreigner in their country. It’s a must to say “permiso” upon enttering a house as this a very polite and very respectiful thing to do and the Ecuadorians will really appreciate this gesture.
3. Joyous and Lively Annual FestivalThe Ecuadorian Mardi Gras is celebrated in the country every February or March because it is required that this celebrations must be held 40 days before Easter each year. An indigenous tradition in Ecuador that gives surprises to all as it also celebrates the coming of the second moon. A real and joyous party where by everyone is happily throwing flowers, water and flour. Everyone has its own piece to throw and spray just feeling the lively music of the festival. The performers wearing traditional clothes are some of the must-see in this celebration. Do not be offended or be surprised when along the streets you will get sprayed with water or party foam. This is a time of joy, celebration, meeting new people, and having loads of fun in the joyous country if Ecuador.
4. A Glimpse to the UniverseWondering where you can catch a glimpse of the whole universe? Ecuador’s highest mountain may provide you the right place. The Chimborazo is known for its highest mountain elevation measured at 20,548 feet. Its summit is the only point on the Earth where it’s closest to the sun. The most famous route going up to the mountain is El Castilo, which is best to climb during the months of December to February. The climb requires professional hiking skills and maybe very risky for starters. It is best to always have a mountain guide as they have several programs to help you have the best unique experience in climbing the highest mountain in Ecuador.
5. Extraordinary Delicious DelicaciesOne of the famous delicacy in Ecuador is the Chugchucaras. It’s a deep fried pork that consists of mote, potatoes, fried bananas or plantains, emparandas and pork rinds. To make the dish more flavorful, an aji or a spicy sauce made from hot peppers, tomatoes cilantro and onions is a must. If you’re looking for something that is healthy and at the same time can provide you protein without worrying about carbohydrates, then the quinoa grain is a must-eat food for you. This food is simply served with onion, butter and salt. The Ecuador quinoa is known for its resistance to diseases and pests making it perfectly sure that it’s completely organic and chemical-free grains.
6. Fashionable Panama Hat The Panama hat or more popularly known as Ecuadorian hat is a straw hat that originated in Ecuador. These hats are lightweight and breatable. It is worn as an accessory and protection for men during the hot summer days. This hats are created through weaving and blocking. The types of weaves that are commonly used in the creation of Ecuadorian hats are Cuenca, Brisa, Crochet, Fancy, Torcido and New Order. If looking for a nice quality of the hat, choose a hat that is defined by the tightness of the weave and make sure that it originated in Ecuador.