The Kingdom of Belgium is found in Western Europe. It is bordered to the north by the Netherlands, east by Germany, southeast by Luxembourg, southwest by France, and northwest by the North Sea. Brussels is the capital and largest city of Belgium. It is one of the important places in the country as it is the main administrative center and the counsel for the European Union. The country is home to two main linguistic communities namely; Dutch-speaking, which referred to as the Flemish Community and the French-speaking community. Roman Catholicism has been Belgium’s majority population and one of the most important parts of its traditional culture. The country divides itself into ten different provinces namely; East Flanders, West Flanders, Flemish Brabant, Limburg, Hainaut, Liège, Luxembourg, Namur, Walloon Brabant, and Antwerp. The sweet treats, famous fries, artistic brewing of beers, lifelong friendships, and magical places of this beautiful and livery country is worth visiting for.
1.Delicious Decadent Chocolates The world-famous delicious dark chocolate is found in no other than Belgium. The chocolate-making industry started during the 19th century and up until today is still one of the biggest businesses in the whole world. The many chocolatiers in the country are namely; Godiva, Belvas, Wittamer, Zaäbar, Mary, Jean-Philippe Darcis, Neuhaus, Pierre Marcolini and many, many more. These marvelous sweet creations are one of the top reasons to visit the country. The amazing thing is that there is a law on the country that states that a minimum of 35% has to have pure cocoa in it in order to keep up with the country’s standards and prevent adulteration of the chocolate from other sources. Truly, cravings are utmostly satisfied. If you want to know more about these riched flavored sweets, you may want to visit their all-year-round chocolate festivals.
2. Sweet Chocolate FestivalsThe Chocolate festival celebrations offer its guests and their locals always something new and exciting products. The Chocolat-Passion Festival that takes place in Brussels is one of the best handmade chocolates in the whole world. It usually gives free samples for everyone during the merry and joyous event. Chocolate Festival of the Mons, which takes place in the impressive square of Grand Place of Mons. Everyone is allowed to try everything sweet in the chocolate booths, which includes; cookies of the biggest size, chocolate goodies, pies, gummies, chocolate-gummies, variety of macaroons, cake pops, macaroon pops, colorful baskets, and cute candy bouquets. Such a wonderful treat for everyone, especially for the kids. It’s must-visit for all the chocolate lovers.
3. Best Friet EverDivulging into sweets may not be enough to totally experience the wonders of Belgium. The french fries is something to add to your must-taste list for your culinary treats. These fried potatoes or Belgian Fries are prepared the same way as cooking fried fish during its history. The friets needs to be perfectly balanced before frying. Making sure it is not too frozen or too soft before submerging it into a hot special cooking oil to achieve that crispy delicious fries. The Belgians either served this with a fried egg on top of the french fries, and their traditional favorite sauce like; ketchup and mustard, andalouse, samurai and many more. For most of the Belgians, mayonnaise is mostly preferred topping for this lovely dish. If you want to know more about the history of this dish and other recipes, you may want to visit the Friet Museum in Brugge as this place is committed in sharing its wonderful discoveries and learning experience.
4. Magical Brewing and Fabulous BarsThe mystical of brewing beer is found only in Belgium. There are four types of fermentation used for the brewing of their original Belgian beers. The spontaneous fermentation, which is derived from faro, gueuze, and kriek beers. Warm fermentation or top fermentation for most Trappist beers. A mixed fermentation for the old-brown beers and cool fermentation for lager or pilsner. All Belgian beers range in different colors and each kind of has an amazingly special glass that served it. In Belgium, there is no curfew for most of the bars, which is a little bit from its bordering country Netherlands.
5. A Special Friendship Among Its Bordering CountryThis unique and special friendship is built of mutual trust as no one is guarding the borderline of Belgium and the Netherlands. During a time when one of the Netherlands law was to close earlier, some restaurants and bars would simply have to change the client’s table to the Belgian side making it conveniently cool for its clients. A truly special place to build friendship and being at two places at the same time while drinking your favorite beer.
6. Magnificent Ancient CastlesThe country is famous for its record for having the most castles out of any country in the whole world. There are 400 castles open to the public to view and see. In particular, Gravensteen Castle shows a lot of full great stories and spectacular views from the terrace rooftop with all of the majestic buildings and meandering picturesque canals. It is well preserved and convenient to visit as it is in the center of Ghent. The people are great and hospitable, too. There are a lot of areas to learn about, walk and take a camera shot around this beautiful enchanting castle. Its majestic fortress background gives you an excellent piece of medieval castle history you can’t afford to miss.