The Principality of the Valleys of Andorra is believed to have been created by Charlemagne and was ruled by the Count of Urgell and transferred to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Urgell. It is the sixth-smallest nation in Europe and the 16th smallest country in the whole world by land and the 11th-smallest by population. The capital of the country is Andorra la Vella and it is also the highest capital city in Europe. Catalan is the most spoken language aside from Spanish and French. Its beautiful and exciting festivities continuously showcase its valued traditions, pilgrims and social gatherings. As a landlocked microstate, its fresh agriculture produce is turned into heaven for gastronomical discoveries. Many believe that living in Andorra increases life expectancy because it possesses calmness, light moments for everyone and its surroundings are luscious mountains that perfectly match with is numerous lifestyle activities that surely everyone will enjoy and be thankful for.
1. Catalan; A Blend of LanguageThe sole official language of Andorra is the historical and traditional language called Catalan. It is a mixture of French, Spanish and Portuguese dialects. The language is used by the government, national media, public and private signages. The Andorra government wishes to boost the use of the language by enforcing the learning of language to all the country’s immigrant workforce for perfect communication. Other languages spoken are; Spanish and Galician, Portuguese, and French. The next most important language after Catalan is the Spanish, which children can also learn if parents choose the Catalan option. Take note that the Catalan language is easy to learn especially if it’s very close to the language you speak.
2. Joyous FestivalsThere are many celebrations in Andorra that is worth coming for. Some of these are; The Canólich Gathering in May. This is one of the most anticipated festivals of the country, where the citizens are gathered to watch ancient pilgrims. Spectacular and splendid fireworks are one of the highlights that are expected to beautifully lighten the streets of Sant Julià de Lòria. Another major event is Meritxell Day also known as the National Day of Andorra. It is celebrated every September 8 to commemorate the strong traditions in Andorra. This celebration starts with a Vetlla de la Verge and opens its doors to welcome pilgrims paying homage to the Lady of Meritxell. Other events to anticipate are; the Andorra la Vella Fair, the Sant Jordi Day, the Carnival of Encamp, Festa del Poble, the Festivity of Sant Esteve, the Festivity from La Candelera to Canillo and the Santa Llúcia Fair. Whatever you choose, all celebrations are joyous.
3. Variety of GastronomyAndorra’s gastronomy is mainly Catalan, which is influenced by seafood and fresh agriculture produce and has similar characteristics with its neighbors of Catallona and France. One of the famous dishes is the nutritious allioli of quince, made of three combined ingredients; garlic, olive oil, and quince. This is best accompanied by meats and fish to put it on a slice of bread. A favorite snack or dessert is the traditional sweet food called ‘Coca Massegada’ and mostly served during special occasions or just after eating the main course. This cake consists of a flat oval bread topped with candied fruits and toasted almonds and contains stripes of creamy custard.
4. High Expectancy of LiveAndorra is famous for its highest life expectancy. The World Health Organization says that Andorrans live to an average of 83 years. Wow! The secret to their long lives is that they have a fantastic health care system, positivity, and their calmness. They know how to shoo away stress easily and have a very positive outlook in life. They don’t get crazy or mad easily. The calmness of their wonderful surroundings and beautiful mountains contributes to the personality of its citizens. The inhabitants breathe in the natural fresh air. They are secure with the government and its neighbors. The country offers an abundance of food and high purchasing power. Andorra’s are very well known for their friendliness that’s why most of the old men and women look into Andorras as a perfect place for retirement.
5. Numerous Outdoor LifestyleLiving its life to fullest means having an active lifestyle and this country surely understands and offers countless ways to enjoy them. It is famously known as the top-level ski destination. Ranging from cozy to end-scale and it surely guarantees snow because of its snowmaking facilities. Skiing in Andorra comes at an affordable price. For beginners, there are a lot of quality schools that will help guests and visitors experience Andorra. In addition, numerous trails, horseback riding, climbing mountains, road cycling, mountain slides, riding trips, and the Grandvalira Zipline are offered for every thrill-seeker. All of these activities are pack with beautiful sceneries. It’s a shame to not be able to experience the liveliest activities in the beautiful country of Andorra.
6. Lovely Shopping CentersShopping in Andorra is a favorite among France and Spain due to a lack of tax before. It is still the prime destination for travelers and a great destination for holiday shopping and holiday breaks. Its prices are pretty keen compared to Spain and France. Shopping centers offer a huge variety of products for every shopper and its locals. Great choices for everyone, where you can find everything in just one place. Every shopping mall area is exceptionally clean, vibrant, and a nice place to hang out. A truly wonderful and excellent place to discover.